The delegation of the Foundation for the Support of Christian Culture and Heritage visited Bulgaria from 3 to 5 August 2021.
As part of the business trip, representatives of the delegation held meetings with the Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Russian Federation to the Republic of Bulgaria Eleonora Mitrofanova and the Consul General of the Russian Federation in Varna Vladimir Klimanov.
In addition, the Foundation's delegation met with the chairman of the Church Superior of the Patriarchal Cathedral of St. Alexander Nevsky in Sofia, the Chief Secretary of the Holy Synod Bishop Gerasim Melniksky, director of the design institute "UASG - TSNIP" EOOD Ivan Markov and visited the Patriarchal Cathedral in honor of St. Alexander Nevsky in Sofia. With the support of the Foundation, design and estimate documentation for [restoration work] is currently being developed (https://fscch.ru/projects/restoration-of-the-alexander-nevsky-cathedral-in-sofia -/) in this temple.
Meetings were held with Metropolitan Gabriel of Lovchansk and Metropolitan John of Varna and Velikopreslav in order to discuss the possible implementation of joint projects.
During the meeting with ** Metropolitan Gregory of Velikotyrnovo**, issues of cooperation were discussed in terms of financing by the Fund for the completion of the improvement of the Church of the Resurrection of Christ in Veliko Tarnovo, in particular, the painting of the walls of the lower chapel of the temple.
Following the visit of the Foundation's representatives to Bulgaria and acquaintance with the Orthodox shrines of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church, during meetings with diplomats and with the highest clergy of the Church, agreements were reached on further fruitful cooperation and mutual assistance.
Work on the construction of the Church of the Resurrection of Christ in Veliko Tarnovo began in 1997, but due to insufficient funding, construction was suspended and was resumed only in 2006.
Russian Russian Orthodox Church is located near the cemetery, where the Russian soldiers who died in the Russo-Turkish War of 1877-1878 near the cities of Elena and Shipka are buried.